Photography: Katherine Holland
The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix… the list goes on. These rock and roll legends were definitely there in spirit at this past week’s Faulhaber Communications essence Spring Summer 2017 preview at Analogue Art Gallery in Toronto. Old records, branded balloons, custom Hello Baked cookies and Jackie O floral arrangements scattered the room to set the scene. Guests were invited to try the new products at nail and makeup touch up stations, snack on the sweets table created by My Perfect Party, and have their photo taken by yours truly at the record wall.
A perk of my job is being able to try out the new essence collection before it hit the market. My favourite SS17 beauty products included the Colour Correcting Mattifying Powder, the Matt Matt Matt Lipstick in ‘it’s a statement’, and of course the Rock ‘n Doll Mascara.
The Colour Correcting Mattifying Powder ($4.49) is a silky miracle worker that evens out skin tone and absorbs excess oil in one step.
For a bold creamy lipstick with a long lasting matt finish, try the new Matt Matt Matt Lipstick. I love essence lipsticks because at $4.49 each you can afford to buy all of your favourite trending colours without breaking the bank.
The Rock’N’Doll Mascara ($4.99) amplifies lashes for the perfect edgy doll eye look.
essence cosmetics are currently sold at Shoppers Drug Mart and Loblaws.
Well, here it is… my 2-day compilation of the most instagrammable destinations in New York. No, this list is not exhaustive, but it does include a wide variety of classic tourist attractions and little-know local hotspots.
#1. Central Park. From horse & carriage rides to ice skating, this oasis in the middle of the concrete jungle is full of kodak moments ready to happen.
#2. Hope Sculpture (222 W 53rd St). Because the Love Sculpture has been overdone.
#3. Times Square. This is the epitome of the city of lights. If you don’t share a photo of Times Square, were you even in New York?
#4. Dylan’s Candy Bar (33 Union Square W). Ralph Lauren’s daughter successfully merged the worlds of art, fashion and pop culture with candy. If not for the gram, go for the sweets. I highly recommend her Cookie Dough candy bar.
#5. The Apartment by The Line (76 Greene St). Styled to perfection, everything in this space is for sale. Designed to give shoppers an intimate retail experience, The Apartment is ready to be photographed.
#6.Waldo Wall (corner of Mott & Kenmare). Help your feed stand out with a photo in front of the Where’s Waldo mural.
#7. The Butcher’s Daughter (19 Kenmare St). For endless brunch pictures.
#8. Brooklyn Bridge. The best place to see the New York City skyline, and take a selfie.
Be sure to keep this guide in mind to keep your feeds fresh next time you visit the Big Apple.
This past weekend Brandon and I took off to New York City to take in the Jim Jefferies show and the Raptors vs Nets game. I promise I will tell you all about the experience, but first things first… How do you pack for 48 hours in the city that never sleeps?
Knowing that I would likely have to carry my bag around with me on Sunday, I had to narrow it down to the bare essentials (and I am happy to report that I was able to pack everything into a single Taaluma Tote!). So what exactly did I bring…
- Charlotte Tilbury‘s Quick ‘N’ Easy Natural Glowing Look ($95)
- This kit is great for a 5 minute face and the size is perfect for traveling.
- Hillberg & Berk Sparkle Balls ($80)
- From day to night, add a touch of sparkle to any look.
- Canon EOS 6D
- Wilfred Free Libre T-Shirt ($20)
- Lennox and Lucy custom distressed denim jacket ($60)
- Mophie powerstation ($49.95)
- I had to drop by an Apple store to pick this up on the first day of the trip. This is a true lifesaver when you are relying on your phone for directions.
- belif True Cream Aqua Bomb ($47)
- Clinically proven to boost hydration levels by 18%, this is a must-have when traveling.
- AEO Band T-Shirt ($35)
- Two by Vince Camuto Star Sequin Tank ($20)
- Fidelity Denim Gwen in Jett ($188)
- These are literally so comfy they replaced my leggings for the trip.
- Paige Hoxton Ankle – Black Shadow Destructed ($271.67)
- Roots Hamilton Toque ($20)
- AEO Leather Belt ($32)
- Marc Fisher Yale Pointy Toe Chelsea Bootie ($140)
- Olivia Burton The Dandy Dusty Pink, Silver & Rose Gold Mix (£75)
- Taaluma Totes Indonesia ($65)
- Dooney & Bourke Pebble Grain Hallie ($200)